In the approach and development of new web design, in addition to the designer or web designers, other profiles usually intervene as an account manager. Which collects and transmits to the team the requirements and valuations of the client; an SEO, which proposes elements that will help the subsequent web positioning; or a programmer, who values the difficulty of implementing the functionalities proposed in the web design.
A discipline of online marketing that has the backing of real data to generate recommendations is often overlooked: web analytics. Both in those projects where we start with completely new web design and in cases of redesign a website or in more specific cases like optimization for the conversion of an active portal, digital analytics can provide very useful information clarifying to choose one design or another.
We are going to give a review of the main reasons and scenarios in which web design can benefit from web analytics.
“Web analytics can contribute a lot to web design, both in the process of creation and in the optimization of the web.”
In which cases can web analytics provide valuable information for web design?
As mentioned above, there are several circumstances in which web design can draw on web analytics:
- Web design of a new project: even if we do not have data from an earlier version of a website, having metrics from other similar projects or studies from the sector can help us define some elements of the visual aspect of a new portal.
- Web redesign: one of the cases in which we can get more information. And it is that having the historical data of the previous design of a web will allow us to identify points of friction, redundant elements, incomplete processes, and a long list of variables that we can transfer to our web designers so that they do not repeat past mistakes.
- CRO and other types of optimizations in production: from the test of landing page oriented to advertising campaigns, through purchasing processes, to revisions focused on usability. Web analytics can provide a lot of information to introduce web design changes in a production site.
What variables and web design elements can we review with web analytics?
Web analytics allows us to analyze practically all the aspects and processes of a web. Some of the ones that can provide us with more useful information for web design are:
- Analysis of metrics according to the type of device: although it is applied in most web projects, responsive design is a relatively recent concept. Divergencies in rebound percentages or page times between computers and Smartphone can indicate that there is a problem in our web design for different devices.
- Call to action or CTA: Have we added a button on the Home, but nobody clicks on it? Valuing this or other aspects related to calls to action on our website can indicate, for example, that there is a problem in your design or location.
- Processes and funnels: Do users not complete the checkout process of e-commerce? On what page do they lose interest? The analysis of processes and funnels of conversion will allow us to identify problems of design and/or usability, and provide solutions.
- Usability improvements: if, for example, one of the most visited pages of our website is 4 clicks away from the Home, we can ask the web designer to include a highlight on the main page so that its access is more direct.
What can web analytics tools be useful for web design?
Some of the most common types of tools are:
- Quantitative analysis: being the most common Google Analytics, we also have other utilities such as Kissmetrics, Piwik or Adobe Analytics.
- Qualitative analysis: we have tools such as Hotjar, Inspect, Lucky Orange or CrazzyEgg.
- Tests: solutions such as Google Optimize, Optimizely or AB Tasty.
As you can see, web analytics can contribute a lot to web design, both in the process of creating a web page and in subsequent optimizations. At Viridian Geeks, as a web design company in Atlanta with a long career in the sector, we incorporate web analytics into our projects to achieve the best results for our clients. If you have any questions about the subject or want to start a new project, do not hesitate to contact us