The SEO of a website covers many areas and disciplines. From purely technical aspects, such as speed of loading or marking of structured data, to external factors, such as the generation of links or Linkbuilding.
One of the elements, sometimes forgotten that can help us strengthen our presence in search engines is the SEO for images.
There are a large number of variables that have Google algorithms account to attribute a position to content in the pages of results that are linked to the images, both directly and indirectly.
Therefore, introducing SEO optimization of the images of your website as part of your global positioning strategy can bring you a plus in traffic. But, all the websites must perform SEO for images?
“Introduce SEO optimization of your web images as part of your global positioning strategy can bring you a plus in traffic.”
In which type of webs is it a priority to optimize images for SEO?
In an ideal world, all webs would have perfectly prepared images for organic positioning. Given that the reality is different, there are sectors and types of portals in which a specific strategy for visual content will provide more value than in others.
It should also be said that there are different degrees in which to work the images at the SEO level. From simpler and more essential aspects such as the incorporation of the ALT and HTML attributes to the HTML tags of the images to more complex tasks such as the generation of a specific Sitemap for the images.
Depending on the weight of this type of visual content on our website and business, we will delve into different levels of this type of action.
That said, some of the types of websites that can benefit the most from SEO for images are:
- E-commerce: in online stores with a large number of products, the optimization of photographs of them is essential, both for SEO and to offer a good user experience.
- Webs of sectors oriented to design, art, etc.: in this type of webs intrinsically linked to a visual component, the quality, and optimization of images are vital.
- Webs where the visual experience is part of the purchasing process: in sectors such as decoration, the search for images is another step in the Consumer Journey.
How to optimize images for SEO?
The main actions you can take to optimize the images of your website for SEO are:
- Filename: include the keyword as part of the name of the image.
- Optimize weight: especially required on websites with a high volume of traffic from mobile devices, reduce the weight of the images without affecting the quality of it.
- Adapt the resolution of the image to the device: through the HTML attribute srcset, we can define which resolution to show according to the device through which the user accesses.
- Choosing the right type of format: in general, JPG is the most widespread format for web images, but other forms such as PNG or GIF provide different functionalities (transparency, animations) at the risk of increasing their weight.
- Incorporation of ALT and TITLE attributes: with a short description of the image, always adding the keyword to which we are going.
- Footer: In English known as “Caption,” the introduction of an optimized footer can add a positive value to our SEO strategy.
- OpenGraph Protocol: prepare the code of our pages so that in sharing them on social networks and other platforms, they show the correct image.
- Sitemap of images: to facilitate access to all our pictures to Google, we can generate a Sitemap in XML format specific to them. We also have the possibility to associate an image to the pages of our normal Sitemap.
- Use of structured data Schema: specifically for online stores. If we mark our products with the correct specification, including the images, through the Google Images search engine, users will be able to access the product file itself.
- Host the images on our server: although it is not usual, there are websites where images point to other portals. We must avoid this type of practices.
- Relevant, quality and original images: to the extent that we can, use our own photos (avoiding image banks) made by professionals.
Image optimization for SEO is an exhaustive process, but it can bring great benefits within the framework of your web traffic capture strategy. If you want us to help you with the SEO of the images on your website, do not hesitate to contact us.