Even though SEO evolves periodically, some bases and foundations have remained stable since the beginning of this discipline. We usually classify the actions and positioning strategies that we can perform in SEO On-page and SEO Off-page, depending on the scope of action of the same.
In addition, depending on the type of web that we have to optimize, we will work in more depth on some factors and review the basics in others. For example, in a corporate website without dynamic content, we should focus on getting links; while in e-commerce with a full catalog, technical SEO should be careful to the millimeter.
Today we will focus on a type of portal that has proliferated in recent years and how we can optimize it for search engine positioning. Let’s talk about SEO for web directories.
“A correct SEO strategy is key to the success of a directory.”
SEO optimization for directories
Although we usually link the role of directories to get links for the web within their SEO strategy, the fact is that the directories themselves have also had to work on optimizing them as part of their path to success.
This type of website starts from a defined structure, but its contents are generally fed by users and companies that add their profiles to it.
For this reason, SEO On-page technical plays a massive role in directories.
Some of the main variables and SEO actions that we should take into account if we want to launch a directory are:
- Previous study: before creating a directory, we must conduct a study on the feasibility of it. In addition to taking into account aspects such as competition or demand, we must analyze what queries are made in Google and other search engines linked to our sector.
- Definition of the information architecture: based on the data collected in the previous point, we can define how to organize our directory. From deciding which categories we create to organize the cards or profiles, going through precise cross navigation and filters (for example, geographical location), until the definition of the depth of the links for each content.
- Prioritize indexing: much has been talked about concepts such as the “crawl budget” in recent months. And when our directory starts to work, and we generate thousands and thousands of pages, we must take the priority of indexing our content carefully, or the Google tracking robot will not give weight to the pages that are relevant. The use of the tag “meta robots” with the value “no-index” and, to a lesser extent, the “canonical” will help us indicate to the bot which pages should not be included in its index, being usual cases URLs with parameters generated by filters or pages.
- Generation of dynamic content: given the magnitude at the level of contents that directories usually achieve, it is practically impossible to write the texts for each category, sub-category and all the classifications that we have defined. Therefore, we must create text templates that include variables specific to each content that prevent us from falling into duplicate content problems. This is also applicable to fields linked to SEO such as the “Title” and “Meta-description” tags.
- URLs: one of the main problems of the directories is the generation of kilometric URLs when we start to delve into the content or apply filters or search parameters. Having clean addresses and indicate in tools like Google Search Console the function of the parameters that we use will be key within the SEO strategy of our directory.
These are just some of the elements that we must take into account when doing SEO for a directory. If you want more information on this topic or need help with the SEO strategy for a web directory, do not hesitate to contact us.